Service Dependency Based De-duplication
Service Dependency Based De-duplication works on the logic that the incidents coming in for a Service and its dependencies have a related cause.
It is most likely the case where, when one Service has an incident, its dependent Service(s) may also have incidents and hence, you will be notified for the incident only once. This helps control unnecessary alert noise and notification fatigue during critical outages.
Defining dependencies between Services also helps Squadcast understand the relationship between your actual systems.
To understand this better, let us consider 3 Services: Service A, Service B and Service C.
If Service A is
dependent on Service B and Service C, then:
- Dependent Service: Service A
- Dependency Service(s): Service B, Service C
Let’s say, Service B has an open incident at time x and Service C has an open incident at time x+1. Now, Service A receives an incident. This incident for Service A gets de-duplicated with the latest open incident of its depenedency Service(s) - i.e., with the open incident for Service C, in this case.
Adding a Service Dependency
(1) Navigate to Services from the sidebar
(2) To add a dependency where, Service A
is dependent on Service B, for Service A, click on More and select Dependencies
(3) Search for Service B, select it and click on Save
In this example, we have considered
Backend Prometheus Service and
Translations Services as dependencies of the
Payment Portal Service.
This means that the
Payment Portal Service is dependent on
Backend Prometheus Service and
Enabling Service Dependency Based De-duplication
Once you have defined the Service Dependencies, you can set a Service Dependency Based De-duplication rule which would de-duplicate all incoming alerts for the chosen Service against the latest open incident of its Service Dependencies.
To do so:
(1) For the Service that has its dependencies defined, click on More and select De-duplication Rules
(2) For the De-duplication Rule that you want checked and applied for Service Dependency Based De-duplication, simply enable the checkbox If this service and a service it depends on both have an incident, alert only once.
NOTE: This checkbox for every De-duplication Rule is disabled by default.
1. The Service Dependency Based De-duplication will de-duplicate any incoming alert against either a
Acknowledged incident only.
2. Service Dependency based De-duplication is rule-specific and can be enabled for any number of De-duplication Rules that are defined for a Service.
Enabling Service Dependency Based De-duplication for a Specific Service Dependency
In cases where you would like Squadcast to consider just one of the many dependencies for a Service for Service Dependency Based De-duplication, you can follow the method below.
Along with enabling the Service Dependency checkbox as shown above, you will need to add the below condition to the rule:
past_incident.service == <slug_of_the_particular_dependency_service>
(1) Where can one find the
slug of a Service?
slug of a Service is displayed on the Service card as shown below.