Postmortems are a way to summarize the resolution for an incident once it is resolved. It is also a way for you to create a knowledge-base of failures and fixes that can be shared across your organization to help build a culture of shared learning and learning from failures.
In this documentation, we’ll be going through the following:
- Postmortem Templates
- Creating a Postmortem
Each organization has a few predefined Postmortem Templates from Squadcast. You can choose to create new templates/modify existing ones, based on how you do postmortems within your organization.
You can follow the steps below to create a new Postmortem Template in Squadcast:
(1) Click on Settings on the sidebar
(2) Click on Postmortem Settings. Here you’ll find the list of pre-defined templates
(3) You can either make use of the existing templates or add new templates for the rest of your Organization to use
(4) There is a set of
incident-variables, which can be used while creating Postmortem Templates. These
incident-variables will dynamically get populated with the incident’s data for which the Postmortem is being created. You can see all the available
incident-variables on the right-half while creating templates. The variables need to be specified using MustacheJS syntax. Refer to the pre-defined templates for the templating syntax.
(5) A template can be marked Default. While filling a Postmortem report for an incident, the default template would pop up automatically when a user Starts a Postmortem.
Click on Add to save the new template or Update to save the changes in an existing template
How-to-video: Creating a Postmortem Template
Creating a Postmortem
The Postmortem feature is enabled for an incident only after it has been resolved. Hence, an incident first needs to be Resolved Only the Account Owner/Admin of an Organization has the access to modify the templates and/or create new templates for the Organization
(1) To create a Postmortem for a resolved incident, go into the Incident Details Page and Click on Start Postmortem
(2) You can select one of the Postmortem Templates from the drop-down and start documenting the Postmortem
incident-variables will get auto-populated as per the data available for that particular incident. Remaining details need to be manually filled by the user by Editing the Postmortem.
(3) Apart from the Markdown body, in a Postmortem, you can also create a check-list of follow-ups that can be used to keep track of further actions that need to be done for that incident
(4) Click on Create to save the Postmortem
(5) Once a Postmortem is created, all the users (including Stakeholders) can view the Postmortem and download it in Markdown (MD) and PDF formats
Q: Who can create Postmortem Templates?
A: Only Account Owner and Admins of an organization have the access to modify or create the templates.
Q: Can Stakeholders create Postmortem Templates?
A: No, Stakeholders cannot create Postmortem Templates.
Q: When can Postmortems be created?
A: The Postmortem feature is enabled for an incident only after the incident has been resolved.