Create & Manage Escalation Policies
Escalation Policies ensure that the right people are notified at the right time. Incident notifications can be configured to escalate to Users, Squads or Schedules in a given order and time. You can create different Escalation Policies for different Services.
Creating an Escalation Policy
(1) Click on Escalation Policies from the navigation sidebar
(2) Click on Add Escalation Policy to create one from scratch
(3) Give the Escalation Policy a Name and a Description
Schedules as recipients at any level of the Escalation Rule
(5) Enter the appropriate time for Escalate After, giving enough notice for your recipients to acknowledge the alert after which it will escalate to the next level (if defined)
The time in (mins) input in the `Escalation After` text box takes the absolute time.
That is, the time input in all the levels of escalation is calculated from the time of the incident trigger.
The order of the rules will be carried out based on the time input. That is, from the shortest to the longest time, irrespective of the order in which the rules are placed while defining.
(6) There are two ways to add the medium of notification:
(a) Select one or more options from Via drop-down for every Escalation Rule
(b) Personal Notification Rules - Allow users to set-up their preferred medium of notification
(7) Use Add Rule to add a new escalation layer in a policy
(8) Repeat the entire policy if no one acknowledges the incident even after the Escalation Policy has been executed fully once
You can repeat any Escalation Policy for a maximum of 3 times only
(9) Click on Save to view the Escalation policy
If the incident has transitioned away from the **Triggered** state when it was assigned to a specific Escalation Policy, then the rest of the rules in the Escalation Policy will not be carried out.
Edit or Delete an Escalation Policy
(1) To edit an existing Escalation Policy, click on More Options for that particular Escalation Policy
(2) Choose Edit to modify the existing Escalation Policy or Delete to delete the Escalation Policy entirely
(3) After modifying the Escalation Policy, click on Save
Before deleting an Escalation Policy, ensure that it is not associated with any of the Services or that there are no open incidents associated with the Escalation Policy, otherwise you will be prohibited from deleting it.